OUR PROUD HISTORY
The city of Cambridge was created in January, 1973. It was formed by the amalgamation of the city of Galt, the Towns of Hespeler and Preston, and parts of the Townships of Waterloo and North Dumfries. The history of the area is a diverse and interesting one.
In 1816, a large block of land originally owned by the Six Nations Indians was purchased by William Dickson – a Scotsman who dreamed of founding a settlement to attract his fellow lowland countrymen. Scots from the “old country” immigrated to the village called Shade’s Mill. In 1827, the Canada Company Commissioner, John Galt, visited the area and, in his honour, the village was re-named Galt.
The City of Cambridge web site contains lots of useful information regarding such things as Water Billing, Taxation & Mill Rates, Buildings, and Zoning By-Laws.
For information regarding schools, please visit the Waterloo Region District School Board or the Waterloo Catholic District School Board web sites. To figure out which school zone an address is associated with, use the Student Transportation Services of Waterloo Region web site.